Opportunities at the Beacon of Light School
We are passionate about finding the right people to help us achieve our vision of using the power of football to involve, educate and inspire young people and their families across the North East through a broad range of innovative programmes that help improve their lives.
That's why we believe that the successful recruitment, retention and development of staff through professional qualifications, training and a values-led culture is vital to our success.
If you are passionate about helping people within this great region, and have expert skills to offer, we look forward to receiving your application.
In addition to paid employment, we also offer volunteering and non-paid student internship and apprenticeship opportunities.
All positions are based at the Stadium of Light unless otherwise stated in the job description. Foundation of Light is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Curriculum Leader for Science and PSHE
Salary: MPS/UPS - TLR2a
Contract type: 4 Days (0.8)
Contract term: Permanent
We are currently seeking to appoint a passionate, committed and experienced Curriculum Leader for Science & PSHE who is also an outstanding practitioner to join us in September 2017 as we continue our journey towards excellence.
This key appointment will play a vital role in shaping the ethos, vision and values of our school and make a positive impact on our young people, their families, communities, and future. We are creating an environment for personalised educational opportunities, where there are highest expectations for all members of the school community - this appointment is key to embedding these aims and aspirations.
If you are interested at the prospect of working in an environment where you can make a real impact, and where exciting things are happening, then we welcome an application from you.
The successful applicant will:
- Be resilient, enthusiastic and committed, with a proven ability to secure successful student outcomes within Science and the creativity and vision to inspire and lead in PSHE across the curriculum
- Have experience of leading and managing staff and develop the leadership capacity of middle leaders through coaching and challenge
- Have experience of delivering high standards of teaching and learning
- Demonstrate an unrelenting commitment to providing the best educational experiences for our students
- Embed our commitment to achievement for all
- Inspire, motivate and influence staff and students on a daily basis
- Play a key role in the day to day running of the school and its direction of progress
- Be prepared to go ‘the extra mile’ to ensure every student achieves to the very best of their ability
- Be passionate about the power of education to improve the quality of life and the chances of young people
In return we offer:
- The professional benefits that come from working with a collegiate and supportive team
- Exciting collaborative curriculum opportunities with partners, businesses, employers and outside agencies
- Ongoing mentoring and coaching from the Senior Leadership Team
- Opportunities to continue your professional development
- The unique chance to shape the direction of the Beacon of Light School
- Competitive rate of pay
- State of the art facilities from September 2018
Opened September 2016 within Sunderland AFC Stadium of Light, the Beacon of Light School is a relatively new, unique Alternative Provision for young people aged 13-16. Our curriculum offer provides life-changing opportunities to the students who attend, not only in terms of improved educational outcomes but also in the longer term outcomes of training, work and economic wellbeing.
Students are at the very heart of our school community and we are passionate about embedding strong foundations and values for their future achievement and success. We recognise every student is an individual and celebrate this through personalised, inspiring and authentic learning experiences designed to nurture talent, build character and shape futures.
Offering the highest quality academic and vocational routes, supported by prestigious employers and endorsed by business, we align workplace qualities within a curriculum context. Our students are “work-ready” with a set of futureproofed skills as their ‘employability passport’ – fully prepared for the next exciting stage of life’s learning journey.
By investing in our young people today we will secure the future they deserve – enabling them to learn more, do more and be more.
Informal School Visit:
A school visit prior to application is positively encouraged. The visit for interested applicants will take place on Tuesday 18th April 10.30-11.30am where you will have the opportunity to speak to Denise Taylor (Principal) at the Beacon of Light School, within the Stadium of Light, Sunderland.
Please contact Alex Dunn to make an appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org
Formal interviews will be conducted the week commencing Monday 1st May 2017.
Completed forms should be addressed to:
Foundation of Light
Stadium of Light
Or emailed to this address: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Monday 24th April 2017 at 3pm
Interview dates: w/b Monday 1st May 2017
Start date: September 2017
As part of the Foundation of Light’s commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, all employees employed within schools are required to undergo an enhanced DS check. Further details can be found on the Disclosure and Barring Services website https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check
The successful applicant will be subject to satisfactory references and satisfactory clearance by the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The Foundation of Light welcomes a diverse population of both children and staff and is committed to promoting and developing equality of opportunity in all its functions.