What will it do?
An opportunity for everyone to share
Foundation of Light uses the power of football to involve, educate and inspire thousands of young people and their families across the north east each year through a broad range of innovative and award-winning programmes.
The Beacon of Light will help us extend our reach and expand our pioneering programmes to reach an even bigger audience.
The unique centre will be the first of its kind in the country and will include engaging and interactive zones in education; health and fitness; sport and play; and the world of work welcoming over 300,000 people though its doors every year.
The Beacon of Light will be a flagship development, designed to positively promote education, well-being and sport and inspire local people to achieve more as well as being a venue for events which will support the City of Sunderland's visitor economy.
It will be a Centre of Opportunity for young people and their families at a time when many other facilities are closing and public sector services are diminishing. It will bring people together and make an outstanding and lasting difference to local people’s lives.
THE BEACON WILL BE:
- INCLUSIVE: An all-embracing, safe and accessible facility providing feel-good opportunities for everyone to improve their lives.
- PROGRESSIVE: In touch with an ever-changing environment, the Beacon will offer a lasting legacy through a modern, flexible approach.
- VIBRANT: A dynamic, welcoming hub of activity at the heart of the community, where people are proud to belong.
- ASPIRATIONAL: Ambitions and inspiring, the Beacon will be a shining light of excellence, motivating all involved.
- VITAL: Having remarkable energy, necessary to existence, continuance and well-being, and of critical importance to the Foundation and the community.
BEACON OF LIGHT ZONES: